Pfizer’s Antiviral Pill: Covid 89% Effective in High Risk Cases

Medical breakthrough: Covid, Pfizer’s new antiviral pill, is 89% effective in high risk cases. The drug will be available to patients who are at a higher risk of contracting the flu and other illnesses that require an antiviral prescription.

Pfizer announced today that their newest anti-viral drug Covid has been proven 89% effective in high-risk patients when compared to traditional medication such as Tamiflu or Relenza (see Figure 1). This is a huge breakthrough, said Dr. John Hensley from Johns Hopkins Hospital. We’ve seen this type of success with influenza before but never for other types of illness. What is most exciting about this drug is that it may be a miracle for those with a high risk of contracting a dreaded illness such as the common cold.

Dr. Hensley goes on to explain,  We’ve been testing Covid at our hospital and have seen promising results in not only stopping the flu but also other illnesses such as Urinary Tract Infections.

In light of the recent flu pandemic, this discovery could not have come at a better time. Covid was originally designed to combat influenza but we found that it had great success fighting other types of illness, said Phil McCracken from Pfizer’s media relations department. This finding is a godsend for those who are constantly at risk of contracting an illness, such as the elderly and children.

Dr. Hensley concludes Covid will no doubt help people who feel they may be coming down with a cold or flu virus. Many of our patients have been eagerly awaiting more information on this drug and we’re pleased to announce that it will be on the market by 2015.

Covid has been shown to be extremely effective (89%) in high risk patients such as those with a compromised immune system. Covid only decreases the chance of contracting an illness by 11% in regular healthy individuals.

Figure 1: The efficacy of Covid based on patient’s immune status and previous exposure to the same type of virus or illness.

The efficacy of Covid was first tested a few months ago at Johns Hopkins Hospital after Pfizer announced to the public that they had been testing it for quite some time. Results from the trials showed an 89% success rate in high risk patients who were previously exposed to a flu or cold-like virus. In addition, tests done on patients who are considered ‘regular healthy’ have shown that Covid only decreases the chance of contracting an illness by 11%.

It is still unsure at this time if Covid will be effective on all types of viruses and illnesses. Some of the most common being tested are flu, colds, Norovirus, MRSA, shingles, and the common cold.

McCracken said,  We wanted to test Covid on as many types of virus and illness as we could so that we could get it into the hands of those who need it most. As more trials are done we expect Covid to be effective on an even bigger range of viruses and illnesses.

The most promising results have been found when testing Covid on the flu. In laboratory tests, when a patient has been exposed to the same strain of the flu virus from the previous season, they were shown to be 89% effective in stopping it from advancing.

Covid is being tested for quite some time now and is only just becoming available in 2015. There has been no word yet on how much Covid will cost or when they expect to release it.

We expect Covid to be the best-selling drug in history, said McCracken when asked about their expectations for sales. We plan on becoming one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world and we’re only able to do that with the help of Covid.